Why We Sing
- Read Psalm 150: it mentions all of the instruments in the Jewish orchestra that were used in Temple worship. In verse 6 the psalmist concludes with:
Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.
God is not suggesting song, he commands it!
- God's angelic realm sings!
In Job 38:6, 7 God elects to accompany His creation of the universe by commanding the angelic choirs to sing His praise!
- In 2 Chronicles 5:13, 14 we find this glorious scene:
Indeed, it came to pass, when the trumpeters and the singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD...they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of music, and praised the LORD saying,
'For His is good,
For His mercy endures forever,'
that the house of the LORD, was filled with a cloud, so that the priests could not continue ministering because of the cloud; for the glory of the LORD filled the house of God.
(Also check out verses 11 and 12.)
It is exciting to see that God chose the instant the music was sounded to inhabit His house.
- Look at our music ministry's theme verse: Colossians 3:16:
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing in your hearts to the Lord.
Although we are not limited to choirs, organs or even music in the worship of God, it certainly pleases Him to have us use them. We'll briefly list some of the reasons the Lord wants us to praise Him using music:
- God hears our music...and it delights Him. (There are over 200 direct commands in Scripture for HIs people to praise Him in song.)
- God knows, because He created music and created us as musical beings, that one of the most direct ways into our "innermost being" is through music.
- As our Creator, He knows how valuable music is to instruct our rebellious hearts in His ways. This is the value and function that St. Paul stresses so consistently.
We'll talk much more about this in the weeks ahead using 1 Chronicles 25 as a further reference point as to "Why We Sing!"